Sunday 13 June 2010

A Bizarre Bazaar

Catching my first glimpse of the Moroccan Bazaar in Marrakesh, Morocco, I was caught between mixed emotions of enthrallment and fear. Naturally, I was thrilled to have the chance to experience Africa but as we got closer to the entrance of the bizarre, I began to feel apprehensive about my eminent experience that was moments away. With every step I took, I found myself pondering a new and interesting observation that caught my eye.

The first thing I noticed led to a reversal of my somewhat calmed nerves. Looking around, I noticed the dressing habits of all the local people. The women were covered head to toe in what I would call ‘Authentic Moroccan Garb’ and similarly, the men also were dressed in ‘Authentic Moroccan Garb’ but in a less conservative fashion.
Before embarking on my journey to Morocco, I researched the city, which helped clue me into the dressing habits of the female population. Since Morocco is an almost exclusively Islamic society, it was clear that the women covered the majority of the body with clothing due to religious reasons. Knowing the geographical location of Morocco, the fabric of the clothing, linen, made perfect sense. Being a hot and humid environment, flowing linen clothes would provide more comfort and coolness than other types of fabric. Putting these facts together helped in understanding the culture of Moroccan dress and proved that hard work before a trip really pays off!

Passing my woes on wardrobe choices by affirming myself that other tourists have visited (and survived!) Morocco, I began to weave further and further into the bazaar. Exploring the inner depths of the tangled web of woven streets, I stumbled upon what seemed to be small food market. As I looked around at the locals bartering over the price of olives, I noticed a common theme in the foods. There were four major products: olives, fish, chickens (awaiting beheading), and spices.
These four foods seemed to be at every stand and being carried in and out by merchants and consumers. Again, thinking of the geographical location and climate of Marrakesh, these products made perfect
sense.The olives, which grow best in warm, moist climates seem to be a perfect fit for Marrakesh which lies approximately 100 miles from Atlantic ocean. Following, fish are also easily transported from the Atlantic to Marrakesh, which explains the abundance of various fishes. Being immediately surrounded by dessert like conditions, chickens can be easily raised and sold for profit. If you are interested in more information on the geographical landscape and various aspects of Morocco, click here! Again, I was amazed at how knowing the geography of the region could help me better understand the local cuisine.

After working (mainly shoving) my way through the food market, I felt like I would never reach the end of the bazaar and would be forever lost in the cramped quarters of the narrow streets. This feeling was quickly lost to ones of terror and grim as a motorized bike flying furiously through the middle of the street nearly mowed me down. As if there wasn’t already a lack of
space in the streets, it seemed common for drivers of motorized bikes to expect occupants of the streets to practically dive out of the way of zipping bikes. In one instance, I saw a young boy get hit by a bike as it ran over his leg and knocked him down. As the tour guide later explainedit, the young boy was at fault for ‘ignoring the horn.’ This brought to light the cultural differences that exist not only between Morocco and the United States but also between countries across the world. I was astounded that a pedestrian would be at ‘fault’ in any type of motor accident. This served as a perfect example of varying cultures across the globe.

As I continued my search for the exit, I caught sight of the bright light of the outdoors that gave promise to fresh air and freedom from the cramped, dingy market. As I exited the bazaar, my happiness was immediately replaced by sheer amazement. I was staring at snow-covered peaks of a mountain in the distance. I was completely shocked that there would be snow in Africa, yet alone so close to the hot and humid city! When I finally found a computer, I couldn’t wait to see what mountain range I had laid eyes upon. As it turns out, I was gazing at the Jebel Toubkal, the highest mountain peak in North Africa. Part of the Atlas Mountains, Jebel Toubkal has a peak at 4167 meters. This link contains great information on the Atlas Mountains. I couldn’t think of a better way to bring a close to my stressful, informative day at the Moroccan Bazaar than to take in the unexpected scenery of Marrakech, Morocco.

1 comment:

  1. Great job at tying in geography with the food and fashion. I liked how you talked about the women's fashion and the different clothes that they used, i was able to imagine the market area that you were in with your descriptive words. I also enjoyed the different pictures and different experiences that you had in the market. Sounds like it was a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete