Monday 14 June 2010

Culture Shock: Mo-rockin' My Mind

Thursday, June 10, 2010: Marrkech, Morocco

Before I arrived in the North African country of Morocco, I didn't have many expectations. I knew that we had planned a camel riding trip on the beach about three hours from our destination of Marrakech, and that was enough for me to want to go. However, as soon as we stepped off the plane around 8am on Thursday, June 10, I was overwhelmed with culture shock. As I took a whiff of the dirty-smelling African air and walked along the rocky brown ground, I looked at my other ten travel companions, and we all shared a look that said, "Where ARE we?!"

The eleven of us got on the bus with our travel guide to take us to our hotel. The ride was far from smooth-- I felt like we were riding through an earthquake and that our bus would collapse and/or explode at any given moment. Despite this brewing fear and growing concern for our safety, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. With every sight we passed, my jaw continued to drop. This was completely different from any place I had ever seen before.

Marrakech, the former imperial capital of Morroco, is also known as the "Red City," and for an obvious reason. Nearly every building is pink mud-brick, reflecting the ground and landscape seen all over the city. This was one of the first things I noticed when we finally arrived at our hotel, situated in the middle of narrow alleys and run-down markets with no street signs in the medina quarter, or old city. We immediately decided that we would be attached-at-the-hip to our guide-- there was no way we would risk getting lost in the streets filled by malnourished cats and dogs, beggars of all ages, and desparate venders trying to sell us their goods. After some research, I learned that a medina quarter such as the one we lived in is common in many North African cities. They are usually walled with winding, narrow streets. They were built by Arabs (Morrocans speak Arabic and are mostly Muslims) around the 9th century to hinder and puzzle invaders. This site explains and lists other medinas found in North Africa: http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/510065.

Our first tour of the city was of the largest traditional market and one of the busiest squares in the world, the Djemaa el Fna. Walking through the "souk" markets resulted in sensory-overload: there was so much going on, I didn't know how to react to the various sights, sounds, and smells. It would be impossible to recount everything we experienced walking through the square, and equally difficult to express how it impacts a person. This website, however, gives a good background for the square: http://www.marrakech-cityguide.com/en/sightseeing/street/jemaa-el-fna.shtmlreet/jemaa-el-fna.shtml.

The square is representative of the geography of Morocco, as the venders, artists, and performers display the goods found in the area, as well as the various cultural aspects of the city. We passed countless food venders selling fruits, vegetables, seafood, and meats all found within the district- particularly olives and livestock. Because the city isn't far from the Atlantic Ocean or the Mediterranean Sea, and since Marrakech is surrounded by mountainous regions, these foods reflect the geography and economy of the area. In fact, 44.6% of Morocco's economy is based on agriculture (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mo.htmlww.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mo.html). However, none of these things were displayed the way we are used to seeing them sold in America. The food stands were an oasis for flies and other insects, and entire animals were hanging from the roofs of meat stands, giving a whole new meaning to "fresh." Outside the souk markets, the crowded square was filled with snake charmers, monkey tamers, acrobats, and musicians playing traditional Moroccan music.

After going through a rug store filled with thousands of luxurious hand-made carpets and browsing through various jewelry and woodwork shops, we stopped at, in my opinion, the most interesting shop in the market of herbalists, the Moroccan version of a pharmacy. There we learned that most people in Morocco don't use "common" forms of medicine, such as Tylenol or Aspirin, but rather rely on herbs and plants to cure a wide range of ailments, including acne, headaches, sinus infections, and dry skin. All of the herbs they used are found throughout the country, again indicating the geography of the land. We got to sample many of their products, including "black rice." In order to do this, we had to put the black seeds in paper, rub it to get the chemicals, and then inhale them through our nose. The 11 of us all giggled because we generally associate something like that with drug use. It was the strangest sensation as I inhaled: my eyes began to water as I stifled a cough. However, my sinuses were instantly cleared. Although we thought many of these practices were "weird," they are very common in Morocco. This is an interesting study I found where researchers studied the use of herbal remedies for diabetes in Morocco: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/24/3/608.2.full.

We continued to walk throughout the souk markets and the square, and later continued the day visiting gardens and seeing acrobatic performances while being treated to a VIP-style Moroccan dinner. The next day we visited a coastal city and rode camels on the beach. Overall, my experience in Morocco was by far the most educational and eye-opening experience that I've had this summer, and one of the most amazing times I've ever had in my life. Although I was completely out of my comfort zone, I loved every minute of our 48 hours in the country. I learned so much about a completely foreign culture and was able to apply several geographical concepts to my experience. Even if you don't get the chance to explore Morocco, another African country, or somewhere similar, I highly recommend learning more about lifestyles completely different from the ones we live in America. You might be shocked, but you won't regret it.

You can learn more about the culture and geography of Morocco here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mo.html


7 comments:

  1. Amy - I really like reading your blog post. I think you incorporated well the geographical concepts in with your first-hand narrative. I especially liked how you described the bus ride that you guys took from the airport and I thought your title was very creative. I could totally relate to your experience at the “pharmacy.” We visited one in Morocco too and it was SO different than what we are used to in the states. Good job incorporating links into your blog post. Overall I think you did a great job with this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t know a whole lot about Morocco, and didn’t even think to go there. I am amazed that so many of you got to have this unique experience. The history and geography of the markets you have provided is very in depth and helpful. For somewhere so close to Europe, I was surprised to find out that it was as different as your had described with less sanitation/healthcare, less industry, and less established transportation. You’re right about experiencing different cultures and how it really opens your eyes to how other people live. I would definitely like to go visit in the future. Cute picture with the monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job summing up that first morning in Morocco, we all were definitely blown away. Walking around the market that first morning with feelings of amazement/fear/wonder was definitely the highlight of the trip so far for me. That study you included about the herbal remedies used in Morocco was interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- all I can say is you are so brave. I was not really surprised about the poverty or lack of modernism that you talked about but the food and herbal remedies were an interesting twist. I like how you described your experience and it seems like you were really conscious about the differences and things you could learn. i thought the diabetes research seemed interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, your post was amazing. I think you really hit the criteria for our English and Geography class perfectly.

    As for the actual content, I am so interested and super jealous. Your experience in Morocco sounded absolutely amazing. I can only imagine how uncomfortable, excited, and interested you must have been all at the same time.

    I want to see a picture of all of you on the camel ride, it's kind of funny to imagine the visual, usually people are on romantic horse rides on the coast... so a camel would be super different and cool!

    I'm really happy for you for exploring outside of Europe, to be honest, that option didn't even occur to me.. but I wish it had. It's so neat that you were all brave enough to do something so different, and I can see that it definitely paid off... you really broadened your horizons and pushed your comfort zone.. exactly what studying abroad is for!.. really really cool.

    Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Morocco sounds really cool! I cant even imagine how eye opening that must have been. It sounds like you were not there for very long but I bet that is some place you will never forget. There is so much that we take for granted in our everyday life and to see life in a 3rd world country would be very moving experience. I wish I could have had the chance to get there. Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this trip seemed out of this world, literally! You really touched on the geography and the history of the area you were staying in. It helped me learn a little bit about Morocco because I hadn't heard anything about it until hearing you and the rest of your group talking about it. The way you describe the markets in Africa seems to be completely different than what we saw in Spain and definitely different from what we see in America. I could not even imagine being where you were, it was probably an experience that you wouldn't be able to explain in words. Good job Amy, you really gave us a little insight into a completely different world!

    ReplyDelete