Monday 21 June 2010

A Face Full of Culture

One day really is not enough to experience a country. Sure you can tell everyone back home that you went, but how much can you really do? That is why I decided to return to Switzerland for a second time and truly experience some of the extreme sports. There was a large group of people planning on going to the same hostel and doing mostly the same activities. We were all so excited. The first day there was amazing. We white water rafted down a river in the mountains, and it was so cold we needed wetsuits. Then we hung out in Interlaken and watched the USA-Slovenia game. It was interesting to watch how the locals experienced soccer games. Everyone was outside, especially the kids, in the city square, in the bars, everywhere, watching and cheering. Even we American’s, who do not really follow soccer were engulfed by the game. After a painful call by the referee, which cost us a win, we headed back to our hostel in Lauterbrunnen. Then we decided to eat dinner, shower, and relax before going to the bar.

After a fun few hours, most of us decided it was time to go to sleep. That way we could wake up early and be ready for our next activity: canyoning. So around midnight, my roommate and I headed to bed, hardly able to sleep with all the adrenaline running through us about how exciting canyoning would be. Unfortunately, the morning would bring a much different scenario. Around 4:00am, I woke up to take a routine bathroom break. I walked out of the room and turned on the timed lights in the hallway. When I walked out of the bathroom however, I was not able to find the light switch in the pitch black. I therefore casually walked back to my room, feeling every so often for our door, which was all the way at the end. Unfortunately, the first thing I felt was a set of stairs at the very end of the hallway that led up to a window. Since it was dark, I ended up tripping without anything to grab onto. All I did was throw out my hand hoping to brace it against the wall. The first thing it reached however, was the window, which instantly shattered. Then my face followed my hand and eventually the entire upper half of my body. By that time I was leaning too far to my side and I lost all balance and fell onto the base of the window. The glass that was still intact sliced my entire body from my belly button to chest, and scratched me in several other places.


The Infamous Room 5, Stairway, and Window Combo (With Window Covered)

The first thought that went through my mind was literally, “Shit! I do not want to pay for this!” So I picked myself up and turned into my room. As soon as I turned on the light and saw myself in the mirror, I knew there was a problem. It was not just a few scratches, I needed stitches, and lots of them. I immediately grabbed the towels and pressed them the best I could against the wounds. Then I woke up my roommate and told him to get ready to go get help. After I grabbed my wallet and passport we went downstairs and found some hostel workers who were still awake and able to take me to the hospital. After a 20 minute car ride, I was admitted into Interlaken Hospital and explained my situation. The doctors were amazing and spoke perfect English. They said not to worry, and that I would be just fine. I was very reassured at their confidence and professionalism. After a short debate about whether or not I would need a blood transfusion (luckily I did not) they began suturing me up. It was a three and a half hour ordeal, that ended with a final tally of 5 subcutaneous stitches and fifty two normal ones (two on my forehead the rest on my side).

At 9:00am I was discharged, and took a taxi back to Lauterbrunnen, which was 75 Francs, so I would not recommend it unless it was absolutely necessary. Of course I missed canyoning, but I was able to enjoy dinner that night with everyone after a long, much needed day’s sleep.

I consider myself extremely lucky that I was able to walk away from this situation without any more damage done. I never fell all the way through the window, I missed all major arteries, and I was in excellent medical hands. Also, I was able to remember my passport, wallet, and medical card.

Part of the reason I had such a lucky hospital stay was the country and area I was in. Interlaken is well known for extreme sports, and as such has amazing doctors ready to administer aid. The nurse was telling me she has seen much worse from people getting smashed against rocks while rafting, and complications with para sailing and skydiving. Switzerland’s amazing doctors are also a product of their modern society. Their health care system is both public and private, waiting lists are short, and the latest technology is available in all medical facilities. Yet just like other advanced countries, care is not cheap, so I definitely recommend not hurting yourself at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment